Fair Housing Act
The general focus and goal of the Councilís educational programs are to:
To achieve these goals the Council makes itself available to all residents of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Lehigh, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties. We provide speakers to any group or organization whose members are interested in learning about Fair Housing. To name a few: local NAACP groups, senior citizen's centers, homeless shelters, universities, womenís shelters, section 8 recipients, housing counselors, real estate professionals, publishers, legal professionals, disability organizations, local governments, and church groups.
- Create awareness of the existence of discrimination in housing.
- Create awareness of laws that protect all of us against housing discrimination.
- Teach housing providers what actions are prohibited under the law and why.
- Make housing providers aware of what their liabilities may be if they violate the law.
- Advise housing providers how to conduct their business in a non-discriminatory manner.
- Teach home seekers how to recognize discrimination and the subtle forms it takes today.
- Advise home seekers of the remedies provided by law if they are the victim of discrimination.
We provide copies of publications to each participant when available. Presentations are tailored to the makeup of the audience. We also provide information and assistance to individuals either in person or over the telephone. Many inquirers prefer anonymity, especially those who are housing providers. We provide counsel to the newspapers and real estate companies regarding advertising. Many people call multiple times to discuss specific issues and this is encouraged and welcomed. If you are interested in hosting a program or would like more information, please contact FHCSP at (267) 419-8918 ext.2 or send an e-mail to the Outreach & Communications Coordinator Megan Bolin.